Learn about the New York education requirements for real estate licensing and renewal.
Licensing Board/Commission: Department of State Division of Licensing Services – Real Estate Professionals
New York Real Estate Requirements:
- New York real estate salesperson license: 75 hours
- New York real estate broker license: 120 hours
- Seat Time: The New York Department of Real Estate requires that all students spend a minimum amount of seat time engaged in the course content. The online course delivery system manages this requirement for you.
- Final Exams:
- must be proctored for qualifying education
- must be physically taken within the state of New York at a location approved by the school
- may only be taken twice
New York State Reciprocity:
Real estate commissions and boards across the country are adopting policies for a real estate agent in one state to more easily become licensed in another state.
Several states share real estate reciprocity with New York State:
- Arkansas (for current brokers licensed for at least two years whose business and residence are in Arkansas)
- Colorado (for brokers and associate brokers with current licenses whose businesses and residences are in Colorado)
- Connecticut (for brokers and salespersons with current licenses whose businesses and residences are in Connecticut)
- Georgia (for brokers and salespersons with current licenses whose businesses and residences are in Georgia)
- Massachusetts (for current brokers licensed for at least two years whose businesses and residences are in Massachusetts)
- Mississippi (for current brokers licensed for at least two years whose businesses and residences are in Mississippi)
- Oklahoma (for current brokers and salespersons licensed for at least two years whose businesses and residences are in Oklahoma)
- Pennsylvania (for current brokers and salespersons licensed for at least two years whose businesses and residences are in Pennsylvania)
- West Virginia (for current brokers and salespersons whose businesses and residences are in West Virginia)
All of these applicants need current certification (dated within six months, from the Real Estate Commission where the license was obtained), a completed application, an irrevocable consent form and the appropriate fee.
Applicants seeking a reciprocal real estate salesperson’s license must be sponsored by their home-state broker who must hold a current New York State broker’s license.
Applicants seeking a corporate real estate broker’s license must file said corporation in the New York State Corporations Bureau as a foreign corporation.
Continuing Education (CE) and License Renewal Requirements:
- Real estate professionals in New York need to renew their licenses every two years from the date their license was issued
- Licensees must take 22.5 hours of real estate CE, which includes 3 hours on fair housing and 1 hour on agency
AgentFactor and OnCourse Learning Real Estate’s top priority is our student’s success. Our online real estate school empowers aspiring real estate agents to take their learning experience to the next level by delivering engaging online educational content so you can continue your career in real estate with the right tools. We ensure our Nevada continuing education real estate courses are always cost effective and convenient — making OnCourse Learning your prime choice for online real estate CE! Get started today and maintain your real estate license using our: Interested in advancing your career by upgrading your license or by getting a real estate license in another state? Feel free to browse our online real estate license course catalog to see what courses we offer in your state of interest.
- Arello approved real estate pre-licensing, continuing education and post-licensing online courses that are up-to-date and compliant with state approved material which satisfies the Nevada real estate continuing education requirements.
- Guaranteed Sucess using exam prep tools guaranteed to help you pass your real estate license exam
- 40+ years of real estate education experience and student support that is unparalleled in the industry.
- We’ve helped over 750,000 real estate, appraisers and home inspection professionals successfully begin and advance their careers.